Cooking time45 min
Total time9 hours
4 Large egg yolks
4 Tbsp caster sugar
500ml double cream
1 vanilla pod– split and scraped
2 tablespoons soft dark brown sugar for topping
1. Heat the oven to 110C/225F/gas mark and boil a kettleful of water.
2. Beat the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a heatproof bowl.
3. Heat the double cream to almost boiling point and pour over the egg/sugar mixture, stirring all the time.
4. Add the vanilla seeds to the mixture.
5. Sieve the cream mixture and divide into four ramekins.
6. Place all 4 dishes into a deep roasting tin.
7. Pour boiling water into the roasting tin to reach half way up the ramekins.
8. Bake for 45 minutes.
9. Chill overnight in fridge.
10. Shortly before serving sprinkle the soft dark brown sugar and use a blowtorch to melt sugar to form a hard caramel topping – or heat under a hot grill for 5 minutes.
11. Serve and eat!