Cooking time30-40 min
Total time1h 10 min
10 Slices of white bread
300ml Whole Milk
2oz Soft Brown Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
Large Handful of Raisins/Currants/Sultanas or Mixed Dried Fruit
Custard/Double Cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease 1.5-litre ovenproof dish.
3. Remove crusts from bread and spread each slice with one side of butter.
4. Cut bread into triangles.
5. Place the triangles into the ovenproof dish, arranging them in overlapping layers with the raisins. – One layer of bread, raisins, next layer of bread, raisins and so on…
6. Remember to leave a few edges sticking out, so they can go crispy!
7. Scatter over the remaining raisins/dried fruit.
8. Mix the eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla extract together in a large bowl.
9. Pour over the bread & raisins.
10. Leave to soak in for 10 minutes.
11. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
12. Serve warm with custard or cream.