Maria Ibini Written by Maria Ibini

EU sugar beet production on a high!

According to newly published research presented to the International Sugar Organisation (IOS), in the recent past, productivity gains spanning the cane sugar sector have been generally flat.

However, in the leading EU sugar producing countries, sugar output per hectare is higher on average, than the average of top cane sugar producers.

Also, since the millennium, EU sugar yields have grown significantly; 32% in Netherlands, 31% in UK, 28% in Denmark, 27% in Germany, 22% in Belgium and 9% in France.

On average, the EU beet sugar producers harvest 3 tonnes sugar/ha than the leading cane sugar producers.

The study by Gudoshnikov1 concluded that “since 2011/12, the average sugar yields in the beet sector have been consistently higher than those in the cane sector.”

More than 130 countries around the globe currently produce either sugar cane or sugar beet; within this figure, only 10 countries produce sugar from both beet and cane crops.

Beet sugar being grown; Ragus supports all its farmers and producers with advice and support on how to optimiseefficiencies, and promote the cause of sustainable sugar production


On average, 80% of global sugar production comes from sugar cane, leaving beet making up the other 20%.

Of the 10 countries which dual produce from both cane and beet, Brazil is the largest sugar producers, followed by India, EU, China, Thailand and USA.  Brazil alone accounts for almost 25% of the world’s sugar.

The largest sugar cane producer is Brazil, followed by India and Thailand.  The largest beet sugar producers are EU-28, followed by Russian Fed. & USA.

Mature beets contain 17% sugar by weight, whereas a ripened cane has around 15 to 20% sugar.